BUSINESS ACCELERATOR PROGRAM FOR CREATIVES
Artrepreneur EXPO | Cohort 4
This year's Artrepreneur Expo will take place at the Varley Art Gallery in Markham on September 26, 2017 from 6-9 pm.
Click here for more information.
Applications For Cohort 4 Now Open!
Deadline for Applications: Extended to Monday, March 26, 2017 by Midnight
Duration of Program: In Class: Wednesday Evenings May 3 – August 2, 2017, Expo: September 2017
Information Session: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 6:00 - 9:00 p
Location: Varley Art Gallery
Click here to apply for Artrepreneur Cohort 4
Artrepreneur is a program designed to equip independent artists, arts administrators and creative entrepreneurs with vital business skills needed for success across all arts disciplines and industries. Artists are entrepreneurs who contribute greatly to the social and economic well-being of their communities and, as such, require strategic training to grow in capacity. By incubating artists of all disciplines in one program, we foster collaboration and the sharing of ideas, tools, tips and best practices, resulting in a well-rounded understanding of what it takes to “make it” as as a creative entrepreneur.
Artrepreneur York Region is comprised of weekly seminars, workshops, assignments and a final presentation and expo over a period of four months. It primarily serves York Region based artists, arts groups and arts businesses working in all artistic disciplines such as, though not limited to, visual arts, dance, theatre, film, music, jewellery, fasion, augmented reality and game design. Sessions are hands-on and will range in format from lectures to peer-to-peer workshops.
Throughout the program, faculty will guide fellows in the step-by-step development of a business plan by providing them with templates, learning modules and actionable assignments. By the end of the program, fellows will have a complete business plan and the opportunity to present their work in front of art industry leaders. Upon successful completion, fellows will also be awarded a certificate endorsed by all program partners.
Applicant is an independent artist, Director/President of an arts group/non-profit organization or the Founder/Owner of a creative business
All arts disciplines, design and those working at the itersection of art, technology and innovation
Actively practicing and/or in operation for two consecutive years or more
18 years of age and older
Ability to commute and attend weekly sessions
Application Process & Submission Requirements
- Application form
- Letter of intent outlining your art practice/business, why you want to participate in the program and what you hope to accomplish (maximum 1000 words)
- CV or Resume
- Bio (200 – 400 words)
- Support Material List
- Support material – can be one or a combination of the following
- 5 JPG images of recently completed work; 72 dpi, 1024 X 768 pixels, label image files with a number, your name and title of piece (ex. 01_JohnSmith_BirchTrees)
- Samples of event/product/service flyers or brochures (JPG or PDF format), label files with a number, your name or the name of your organization and title (ex. 01_JaneDoe_DanceWorkshopFlyer)
- Maximum 2 minute video (send link to online YouTube or Vimeo video)
All applications will be reviewed by a selection committee. The committee is comprised of representatives from partner organizations who are cultural administrators, local artists, educators and business advisors. A maximum of 30 applicants will be accepted for the program based on meeting eligibility criteria, full completion of application, ability to participate for the full duration of the program, artistic merit and business viability.
Accepted applications will be required to pay a program fee
$125 for York Region Arts Council Members
$160 for General participants
Click here to become a York Region Arts Council Member.
Notification of Results
Acceptance notifications will be issued by email on or phone by April 3, 2017. Due to the volume of submissions, only those accepted into the program will be contacted.
Weekly sessions will take place at the Varley Art Gallery of Markham, 216 Main St Unionville, Unionville, ON L3R 2H1 from 6:00 to 9:00 pm. Location of the Expo is TBD.
Faculty will consist of small business consultants, York University AMPD faculty, ventureLAB Executives in Residence, as well as other subject matter expert guest lecturers.
Cohort 4 Program Partners
- York Region Arts Council
- Varley Art Gallery of Markham
- York Small Business Enterprise Centre
- Vaughan Business Enterprise Centre
- Richmond Hill Small Business Enterprise Centre
- Markham Small Business Centre
- York University, School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design
- Arts Society King
- Newmarket Arts Council
- Markham Arts Council
- Georgina Arts Centre & Gallery
Information Session: Wednesday, February 15
Application Deadline: Extended to Monday, March 26, 2017 by midnight
Acceptance Notices: Monday, April 3, 2017
Program Start Date: Wednesday, May 3, 2017
Mid-Program Break: Wednesday, June 14, 2017
Last In-Class Session Date: Wednesday, August 2, 2017
Expo: Final Presentations & Graduation Ceremony: September 2017 (Date TBD)
- May through September 2017
- 3 hour seminar/workshop once per week (Wednesdays, 6:00 – 9:00 pm)
- Sessions conducted by industry experts
- Access to creative industry mentors
- Learn the components of a business plan, marketing plan, financial management, intellectual property, presentation skills and more
- Regular assignments culminating a complete business plan
- Receive templates and helpful exercises
- Final presentation to creative industry leaders
- Certificate of completion
Please direct all inquiries to:
Executive Director, York Region Arts Council
We would like to acknowledge funding support from the Ontario Arts Council and the Regional Municipality of York.